I’ve been thinking a lot about goals and dreams recently. Seems like it’s part of the back to school, autumn ritual that I have each year. It’s a time of year that I think naturally lends itself to letting go of the past while welcoming new beginnings.
Normally I but a few new notebooks and some office supplies…maybe a new outfit to herald in the new school year. Even though I’m no longer in traditional school. Old habits and all that jazz. But not this year.
A few fancy notebooks were not going to satisfy my need for something new and different in my life
I’m feeling a little stagnant. Bored. Tired. Dull. Old.
Clearly I needed something more dramatic to sparkle up my life. But what? Where to begin?
I wish I could tell you that I found THE ONE thing that sparkled up my whole existence, but alas that hasn’t happened yet.
What I did discover was the importance of letting go…
- old images of myself
- stuff- clothes, books, trinkets…stuff!
- and the big one for me…GOALS.
Yes, of everything to let go of goals that were not longer in alignment with my current priorities were the hardest to release.
I cried. A lot.
I questioned my ability to follow through.
I fought with myself, my inner critic, all the voices in my head- we went round and round.
But at the end of the day I realized that
no matter how important a goal was at one point in my life, it doesn’t mean that I have to hold on to it or finish it if that goal is no longer a meaningful part of my life.
Seems pretty simple, but of course not so much! There’s so much that we tie into goals. So much more than a straight shot from here to there. We share our hopes and dreams with our loved ones, sometimes we share on social media,
we ignite them with sparks from our soul and sprinkle fragments of our heart.
Our goals become entwined with all that is us. Body, mind, spirit.
Walking away from one, even when it’s time, can be very emotional. But staying in an expired goal is more damaging.
Saying good-bye to the old allows us to liberate our souls making space for new, sparkly dreams!
And so it was that I let go of some important dreams and goals this month. I let go of..
- the need to be the perfect mom. (An unwritten, stressful, unrealistic goal that I’ve had for over 9 years!)
- running the Space Coast Marathon in November
- perfection in my house keeping abilities
- trying to keep up with a key person in my life. (Keep up with the Jones type of thing, but different.)
- beating myself up for not being more organized. (Okay, it wasn’t a goal to beat myself up over this, of course, but I’m letting go of doing it and the expectations that I’ve had for myself in some sort of race towards perfectionism. I never, ever thought I was a perfectionist! Oh boy, I’ve got a lot to learn about ME! But that’s another topic for another day!)
And now I’m able to focus on moving forward into this new path of my life journey. I see a lot more sparkle as I look forward now!
How about you? What goals or dreams have you recently let go of to be able to make room for new ones?